Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's Not About Me

Why do we go to church?

For a long time I thought it was to be fed, instructed, encouraged, and enabled to make it through the following week with renewed spiritual strength. But that's just a byproduct.

Hebrews 10:24-25 reveals the main reason for attending church. "Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another."

It's never about me. The second I put the focus on myself, I am outside of God's purpose. I should go to church for the good of other people. Who knows how God can use me as a blessing? But if all I'm thinking about is what I can get out of the service, it's likely I'll be of no use to anyone else, including God. When I look for ways to encourage others, that's when I am flooded with blessings from God.

We've had only 21 people in church the past two Sundays. The missing people aren't just home sleeping in. Some are very ill and others are recovering from operations. There are vacations and people who have to work on Sunday. A few were even missing for the district-wide youth fast in Weatherford.

If you haven't been able to come to church, know you are missed and we look forward to worshipping with you again soon.

No comments: