Church History

The Indiahoma United Methodist Church is more than a building. The United Methodist Church has a history that dates back to John Wesley and the 1700s. For more, visit About the United Methodist Church.

The Indiahoma United Methodist Church Mission Statement:

The Indiahoma United Methodist Church exists to make disciples of Jesus Christ through love (open hearts), acceptance (open minds) and fellowship (open doors). Our objective is to provide an opportunity for both church and community to experience Jesus Christ as Lord.

A History of Indiahoma United Methodist Church 

Aug. 25, 1957
By Bernie Beauchamp, daughter of Rev. Haddon

The first Methodist services publicly conducted in Indiahoma were held in the old grade school house on the southern edge of the township. To the best of our knowledge, these services began in 1905 and were led by John Wooten, a layman preacher who held revival meetings in rural schoolhouses in the surrounding community. The first Sunday school superintendent was Ernest Poole.

We have no record as to how long the organization continued in this manner, but early in 1907 subscriptions were taken to raise funds for the erection of a Methodist Church. This structure was completed in early 1909 and through these years has been the church home and sanctuary for many Methodists.

Over time, papers and records have been misplaced and destroyed. The earliest record we have is of 1909 when J. Chester Cowardine was pastor. The charter members recorded were: Robert Brenton, Bella Brenton, Rupert A. Brenton, Francis Brenton and Mrs. John Parks.

Each of us realizes and appreciates the debt of gratitude we owe to each person whose name has ever appeared in the church record book and to every minister who has filled the pulpit in the period of our church's existence. Ours is a blessed heritage -- one that we must continue to hold high under the banner of Christ. To those who have made this heritage possible, we make our pledge to keep the faith they so unerringly lived and believed in. We humbly salute them for their contributions to the history of our church.

Nov. 4, 1984
By Virginia Perry

In August 1957, the church invited former pastors and members to celebrate a "homecoming with good old Methodist cooking" to celebrate the first 50 years of the local church. This is a history from 1957 on.

The ceiling in the sanctuary was lowered in November 1964. Florescent lights and wainscoting around the stage were installed at the cost of $300.

The folding curtains for the fellowship hall (now a classroom) and the large built-in cabinets in the west end of the kitchen were gifts from the Women's Circle in 1965.

In April 1965, the Sally Moon Memorial Gift started the planning for indoor bathrooms. Vurl Bland was pastor. The rest of 1965 was devoted to serious consideration of building the bathrooms and two classrooms south of the kitchen. The church didn't want to go into debt at that time. The estimated cost was $1,100 to $1,200. Donations, gifts and pledges were received. Cement blocks and other materials were donated by individuals and left on the church yard. Most of the labor was donated. The annex was completed in March 1966. In May of that year, two window unit air conditioners were bought for the sanctuary. In October, heaters were bought for the new classrooms and bathrooms.

In January 1969, an electric organ was bought. Cecil Cox was pastor. One hundred and four folding chairs were bought from a church in lawton at $2 each.

The P. A. system was bought in 1970, and paneling was installed in the sanctuary.
Three window air conditioners were purchased for the small classrooms and recreational room in July 1972. In September of that year, two 220 air conditioners were bought for the sanctuary. The windows in the south end were closed in and the units were placed high on the wall.

Forty five squares of shingles were put on the church roof and 15 squares were put on the parsonage roof in October 1973.

In November 1975, new carpet was laid in the sanctuary at a cost of $980.

A building committee was created in April 1979. The church turned 75 in 1982, so the building committee made plans to have the sanctuary enlarged and paid for by that time. A charge conference was called in March 1980 to approve the enlargement of the existing structure. The estimated cost was $23,600. The contractor was Johnny Newton. The addition was complete in August 1980, just in time for its first wedding (Tammy Jean Stoll and Steve Roberts). The stained glass memorial window for Geneva Smith was installed in 1980, and plans were approved to sell the parsonage, its contents and a small shed.
In March 1981, the addition was paid in full ($23,791). The parsonage was sold ($500) to the CDBG Indiahoma Program. The existing bank note was paid in June 1981. Eighteen choir chairs were purchased (at $75.65 each) by individual members of the church, and 10 church pews (at $355 each) were bought, four as memorial gifts.

The church went "full-time preacher" with the Cache United Methodist Church in April 1982. An updated P. A. system was installed in April 1984.

The addition of a fellowship hall was completed in 1989. The contractor was Kenneth Jackson.

June 13, 2009
By Virginia Perry

In February 1991, the front of the sanctuary was remodeled, raising the choir loft and removing the north windows. In September of that year speakers and lights were installed over the choir loft.

Storage cabinets were built in the old kitchen, connecting hall and large class room in April 1993. Book shelves were also added in the library.

Reems air conditioners were installed in July 1995. In December of that year, a sound system was installed over the choir loft.

A new roof was added in 2000, and new carpet was laid in the sanctuary that year as well.
August 2007 marked the church's 100th birthday. Bishop Robert Hayes was the guest speaker.

A new PA system was intalled in spring 2009 and a new sidewalk was poured around the church building.

The History of our church is just that: History. As rich and beloved as it is, it does not detract from the great purpose of this church. We look forward to the years ahead as a sacred privilege of proclaiming the Good News to all men and women.

Why the Cross and Flame?

Known informally as the cross and flame logo but formally as the denomination's insignia, it has been used for more than 30 years. The cross linked with dual flames relates the church to God by way of the second and third persons of the Trinity: the Christ (cross) and the Holy Spirit (flame). The flame has two other connotations. It suggests Pentecost when witnesses saw "tongues as of fire," and the duality of the flame represents the 1968 merger of The Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church.

No comments: